Advent is a time of quiet contemplation and waiting. It’s waiting for darkness to become light and for hopes to be realized.
Throughout the centuries Advent has been observed musically in sacred and secular ways. Join Lynne Warfel for an hour of the most beautiful vocal music inspired by and written for Advent.
• Niles: I Wonder As I Wander – Emma Kirkby
• Verdelot: Gabriel Archangelus – NY Polyphony
• Trad. Arr. Craig: Gabriel’s Message – NY Polyphony
• Part: Magnificat – The Tallis Scholars
• Traditional: Quem Pastores – The Cambridge Singers
• Huron Carol: Twas in the Moon of Wintertime – Cantus
• Poulenc: Videntes Stellam – Choir of Trinity College
• Lauridsen: O Magnum Mysterium – Chamber Choir of Europe
• Trad.: Taladh Chriosda – Apollo’s Fire with Meredith Hall
• Holst: In the Bleak Midwinter – Theatre of Voices
• Scheidt: O Jesulein Zart – Bryn Terfel and Nidus Choir
• Trad.: Away in a Manger sung in Welsh – Bryn Terfel
• Trad.: Still, Still, Still – Choir of Clare College Cambridge
• Trad.: Sweet Little Jesus Boy – Jessye Norman