This one hour program contains 80% music of classic Christmas arrangements and original music by Leroy Anderson. It is hosted by conductor Leonard Slatkin and the composer’s son Kurt Anderson, and features recorded performances of Leroy Anderson’s Christmas Music with Leonard Slatkin conducting the BBC Concert Orchestra, and Leroy Anderson conducting his “Pops” Concert Orchestra. Listeners will also hear Leroy Anderson talking about how he wrote some of his famous Christmas music and what Christmas means to him.
The Leroy Anderson Tribute is co-hosted and produced by the composer’s son Kurt Anderson, who is also General Manager of public radio station WMNR Fine Arts Radio in Monroe, CT. He has produced a number of radio programs about his father including an NPR special concert in 1999. He also created the PBS website on Leroy Anderson and produced the DVD release of the PBS documentary, Once Upon a Sleigh Ride.
Musical selections to include:
- A Christmas Festival; (BBC Concert Orchestra, Leonard Slatkin)
- Suite of Carols for Brass Choir; including While by My Sheep; In dulci jublio; Lo, How a Rose e’er Blooming; and I Saw Three Ships;
- Suite of Carols for Sting Orchestra; including Pastores a Belen; It Came Upon a Midnight Clear; and O Little Town of Bethlehem;
- Suite of Carols for Woodwind Ensemble; including Angels in Our Fields; O Sanctissima; and O Come, O Come Emmanuel
- The ever-popular Christmas tune Sleigh Ride!